Coming to Kindergarten Next Year?
These skills can be worked on daily…
- Get in and out of the car by yourself. Opening the car door can be tough, allow your child to practice with the car that will be picking them up at dismissal. Getting in and knowing how to close the door is important also. We will be there to help but giving them the skills to be independent are important.
- Buckle your seat belt.
- Depending on the car this can be tough. Is there something in the way that makes this difficult?
- Open snacks/ketchup packs/milk cartons.
- Practice eating “school lunch” with your kiddo. Make sure they can open everything you send with them. Set a timer for 20 minutes and talk about how they may not finish eating and that’s ok. Practice packing up and talk about what is trash and what should come back home in their lunch box. Lunch time is 30 minutes but practice with 20.
- Put on jacket and zip it up. (practice not taking jackets off inside out. Recess and the end of the day can be tough if they can’t figure out how to put their jacket on and they are having to wait their turn to get help.
- Fasten pants.
- Be completely independent in the restroom, including zipping and buttoning pants.
- Put your toys away; clean up your art supplies.
- Throw your trash away.